Unknown Cichlid Species

Montana406_1992

Hello, I am new to the cichlid world in aquariums. I purchased these unknown cichlids and a few others, having been told they were peacocks. I have 2 albino female peacocks, one peacock that I am unsure of species and then these 3. The more I look online I believe the male is a Red Empress, possible hybrid and the other 2 are female red empress. The male is 2.5 -3 inches in length and the females are the same. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
20210116_140219.jpg20210117_171652.jpg

OB Guy

Administrator
The male in the first picture looks like a Red Shoulder Peacock, possibly a hybrid. The females look like Red Empress also possibly hybrids.

Montana406_1992

So he has a white blaze that used to be light blue and not as prominent, that follows up along his Dorsal and Cuadal fin. It really became prominent the last couple of days when he became top fish in the tank. The reason I bring this up is the last couple of days he has been extremely aggressive and relentless to the point where I have fish missing pieces of their fins. He has been moved into a quarantine tank... Is this normal behavior for a Aulonocara species, or could he be mixed with another more aggressive species/Hap? He is approximately 2.5 inches.
The water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and .20 nitrates. Temp is 78 degrees.
There are no females in the tank, every fish was vented and is colored up. The 3 females i had are in a separate 65 gallon tank until I can re home them.

Attachments

• 20210131_210422.jpg
    20210131_210422.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 19
  • VideoCapture_20210131-204533.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210131-204533.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 10

OB Guy

Administrator
Cichilds can be peaceful one day a super aggressive the next and the males tend to get more agressive as they start to mature. Is there any females in the aquarium?

OB Guy

Administrator
You can try leaving him in the quarantine tank for a week or so then put him back in the main tank and see what happens. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've had the best luck with overstocking my aquariums, it seems to help with aggression.