Sick African Cichlid or Being Attacked

OB Guy

Administrator
It's hard to tell but with the fins being clamped like they are in the pictures it could be sick. Do you ever see any other fish showing aggression toward that fish? Welcome to the forum.

Pbell12

Yes the same breed fish likes to chase it around doesn't really attack it just like to corner it and follow it around. The fins almost have a fluff on it hard to tell in the pics. Thank you :)

OB Guy

Administrator
The stress from the other fish chasing it can cause problems and cause the fish to get sick. You could try treating it but with the stress of being chased around it may not help. If there's females in the tank to they will cause aggression between the males.

Pbell12

I took the fish that has been chasing it and put it into a 10 gallon tank Gona leave it in there as a timeout lol not sure if it will get the idea but it should give the hurt fish some time to get better

OB Guy

Administrator
Before you put the aggressive fish back into the aquarium you can try rearranging anything in the tank. Sometimes just rearranging things will calm down a aggressive fish.

Pbell12

How long should I keep the aggressive one in the small tank? These two have always latched onto each other's mouths no matter how much I move the tank around. I'm not sure if they are make or female. I'm not the best with telling the sex

OB Guy

Administrator
I'd wait a few days to see if you notice any changes in the sick fish. If you're going to rearrange the stuff in the tank do it now so the other fish get use to the new layout before you put the aggressive fish back in.

Pbell12

I'm not sure how the healing process goes for a fish but it was very fussy. Chunk of fuzz is floating around off of it. Now you can see some blood on the area it looked like it was attacked. I'm hoping it's just healing.

OB Guy

Administrator
I've had similar problems with Cichlids and have had good luck using Seachem ParaGuard to help get rid of it.

OB Guy

Administrator
It's hard to say by looking at the pictures but it will probably take some time for the fish to get better. Yes you treat the entire tank with the Seachem ParaGuard.