Please help with Identifying

Cara

Hello all.
I am wanting to do a 55 gallon tank with peacocks and haps., all male. I have researched this idea and found that it is doable.... I hope.
So, I went to Pet Smart last night to get my first set of fish... I now know that Pet Smart will not become my fish supplier. The staff isn't very knowledgeable. They showed me a tank of what they "think" are peacocks, and had not even heard of haps.
So.... I hope that some of you can help me identify the type and gender of the fish I purchased last night.
Any other advice is welcomed.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20190720_205742.jpg
    20190720_205742.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 4

OB Guy

Administrator
The first picture is a OB Peacock and more than likely a male. The blue fish is a Red Shoulder Peacock (Aulonocara hansbaenschi) and is a male. The yellow/gold fish is some species of a Peacock but I can't really tell which, it looks like it could be a female. Welcome to the forum.

Cara

A few more questions...
1- How soon can I add more fish? I got my first 3 on Saturday.
2- Do you trust online for ordering fish, or should I try to find a better, local store?

OB Guy

Administrator
How long has the aquarium been setup? Adding more fish depends on how long has the aquarium been up and running? I've never ordered fish online, I like to see what I'm buying. I would look for small mom and pop stores in your area. They usually have much nicer looking fish than the big chain stores and they take better care of their aquariums.

Cara

Thank you so much.. the smaller mom and pop store is what I was leaning towards.
My tank has been set up for a week now, with only the 3 fish

OB Guy

Administrator
I would wait 3-4 weeks before adding any other fish unless you use Seachem Stability or Aquavitro Seed to speed up the beneficial bacteria process. And Seachem Prime as a water conditioner to help with ammonia spikes.