Need Advice On Setting Up Filtration

Delta Chi

Finally decided to upgrade from a 33g to 120g tank. Need advice on setting up filtration. Was looking at Eheim pro 4+ 600 and was recommended a under gravel filter also. The pet shop I got the tank from looked like the inlet and outlet of the gravel filter was connected to the canister filter. Is that the right way to setup a larger tank? Will I also need a new aerator or will the flow from the canister take care of that?

OB Guy

Administrator
I wouldn't use the under gravel filter at all. On my 125 gallon aquarium I run a Fluval FX6 and a Magnum 350 as backup and my water is clear with good parameters. My 125 is heavily stocked with African Cichilds, Bristlenose and a 2 Raphael Catfish and the FX6 handles the load with no problem. The Eheim 4+ 600 is a good filter but the Fluval FX6 moves more water and holds a lot of media. I would recommend a second canister filter if you decide to use the Eheim 4+ 600 or a FX6 on a 125 gallon tank but no under gravel filter. Congrats on the new aquarium and welcome to Cichlidaholics.

OB Guy

Administrator
I use 2 XL sponge filters 1 in each back corner of the tank but have run tanks without them. Set your output on the filter so you get good water movement on the surface and it should be fine without an aerator. On the Fluval FX6 the output has a Y and I have it in the right rear corner with one pointed toward the middle and the other across the back and it moves the water all the way across the tank. I use the sponge filters for added filtration and to create bubbles and more surface water movement but don't really need them. I just placed a couple rocks in front of the sponges and with a black background you cant's see them at all and the bubbles look nice.

OB Guy

Administrator
Well water can be tricky, I'd suggest you test it or take a sample to your LFS and have them test it before deciding on substrate. What type of fish are you planning on stocking the aquarium with? I don't use substrate in any of my aquariums anymore, I find it much easier for tank maintenance.