ICH maybe!!

Slyle_003

I have 11 cichlids. Several different types, lemon jade, electric yellow, peacocks. Haps etc. tank is 100 gallon. Every fish I have is doing great, one of the peacocks have one white dot on its body. Last week my electric yellow had a white dot on his fin so I quarantined him and treated for ICH. It’s been 9 days now dosing two times a day. They dot on his fin is still there. My other fish now has a single white dot on his body who is in the community tank. Could this be something else besides ICH? Every picture and thread I’ve been too when it comes to ICH shows it’s everywhere, hundreds of little white dots but that could be late in ICH development I guess.

Water quality is good, water changes 1-2 times a week with gravel clean. Same old maintenance that I have done for 2 years now. I did introduce 2 new fish from a very reputable buyer and quarantined fish for 3 weeks before I put in community tank. The electric yellow who is in quarantine I have had for 3 years now. See attached picture of the white dot the body.. The picture below is a fish I have had for 2 years never an issue.

ich-cichlid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

OB Guy

Administrator
It could be Ich. Are any of the fish flashing or scratching on any ornaments or substrate? Usually the fish will flash and or scratch on objects in the aquarium in they have Ich. I've found the best way of treating Ich is turn your heat up slowly until the water reaches 86-88 degrees and leave it set there 10 days then slowly lower the temperature back to it's normal range. I keep my water at 82 degrees and it helps keep my aquariums Ich free.
Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Slyle_003

No. None of them are scratching. That’s the weird thing. I’m just going to wait and see, if I don’t see spots start on other fish I’m not going to treat, if I see it I’ll turn the heat up and medicate. I medicated my electric yellow with heat and medication and the white dot didn’t go away so I assume it’s not ICH.

OB Guy

Administrator
What medicine did you use to treat the Electric Yellow Cichlid? I think I'd do like you said and just keep an eye on them and see if you notice anymore spots on the fish. Let us know how it goes.

Slyle_003

So the spots on my cichlids fins are both worse now. I have taken it for salt baths with no luck. I’m starting to believe it in lymphocystis. It keeps growing on both its front fins. Not sure what to do, it’s 100% not ICH. Maybe time to put fish down, don’t know what else to do.

Slyle_003

I think I’ll buy an anti fungal medication and try that. If it doesn’t work not sure where to go from there. The electric yellow is in hospital tank with no carbon so I’ll go that route and see what happens.

OB Guy

Administrator
Are the fish eating? I've had very good success with Seachem ParaGuard in all of my display tanks and hospital tanks.

Slyle_003

No he is not eating. Here is a picture of one fin. The white patches are on both fins and now his body behind the one fin. So it’s spreading. I sure hope it’s not viral as the media from the filter I was using on his tank I used to set up a new tank. Ughhhh.

electric-yellow-cichlid-001.jpgelectric-yellow-cichlid-002.jpgelectric-yellow-cichlid-003.jpg

OB Guy

Administrator
I'd put him in a hospital tank and start treating with ParaGuard. You can also treat the new tank with ParaGuard as a precaution. Paraguard will turn the water blue but won't stain the silicone or anything else in the aquarium.

Slyle_003

the tank is cycling still. It’s been two weeks and still not quite at zero ammonia. New substrate, plants and ornaments. Used entire filter from the established tank. Is it still ok to use that ParaGuard while cycling?

OB Guy

Administrator
It should be okay but to be safe I'd also use either Aquavitro Seed or Seachem Stability along with the ParaGuard. Also Seachem Prime water conditioner will help with the ammonia.

Slyle_003

My electric yellow still has it, it’s pectoral fins have now turned a darker color from the loss of the white patches. I have tried seachem ParaGuard, ick attack and Melafix. salt and salt baths. The more research I do the more I believe it is Cichlid Lymphocystis which apparently there is no cure but time. He is still in my QT tank and I’m about finished the ParaGuard treatment. The white patches have shrunk which have left his fins a little discolored and it actually now looks like one of his fins are either bent or broken. This could be from him hitting the tank walls trying to rub it off.

OB Guy

Administrator
The info I've seen on Lymphocystis says that it grows and "pops" then it's done. It may be around in the tank for a while though and it can infect other fish that have any kind of injury.

Slyle_003

Still has it. The patches on his pectoral fin have now changed color. Tried treating with everything. Pimafix, ParaGuard, ICH attack, general cure (was for internal) and last but not least fungus cure (which stained my tank) this poor fish has been through it all but still eating and acting normal. Going to give to pet store maybe!!

OB Guy

Administrator
Sorry to hear that. You can't say you didn't try. Which medicine stained the silicone in your aquarium?