Can a Male Apisto Die of Loneliness

JohnnyBlaze

well i think i made a fatal error, i think i may have figured out what happened. Now again i dont know why others arent showing signs of stress but here's what I think I did.......
Listening to a friend who does salt water tanks suggested because my mineral content, and pH was so high, that I should try using an RO device and get pure water. Well it all made sense until i did a little more research..hes using salt water which he adds additives to the water before putting it in. I did not understand that I was also removing very key ingredients that the fish and plants need, so I also needed to add in additives like Seachem Equilibrium, and Alk, acid buffers to put things back into the water, and maintain a steady pH WHICH I DID NOT!!! I have a feeling i caused this to be an unsafe environment. Since I have discovered what i think may have been the cause, I have now gone back to treating tap water with a conditioner. I hoping this bring this tank back to life. Bringing my water levels back closer to where they need to be.
So for now its adding the Stability, everyday hopefully growing the bacteria colonies and treating the tap with both conditioner and a pH down product to help reduce the pH until i can find the right mix and level off what is is there now to the correct levels of pH, gH, kH..
I am testing the treated water, the tank water and trying to slightly adjust the levels, without having it swing to much in 1 direction.
Ill keep you updated....I feel like such as ass!!

JohnnyBlaze

high 7s if not 8, and not sure about gH but the kH test, takes me 5 drops to turn it yellow...
we have a very high mineral content, to the fact that when we have had to replace the hot water heater 2xs in the last 5 years and it is full of scale and hard calcified something. If we make ice and the ice goes away or evaporates it leaves behind stuff in the cube tray

So treated tap is 8, maybe 8.2 (see pic)
tank pH currently 7.4, maybe 7.6
after 30% water change tank reads 7.4

Attachments

• tap pH.jpg
    tap pH.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1

OB Guy

Administrator
Chasing pH is hard on fish. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones my pH is 7.8 out of the tap and I don't use any additives other than Prime. Driftwood will lower the pH naturally and keep it stable.

JohnnyBlaze

Yeah so ive heard...so im just trying to keep it 7 ish and stable i guess which by having some of the minerals back in will help wirh that...finally got a gH test kit today so have pretty much all the tests now...im going to test my home water as well, which i think is alot better...so hopefully after some water changes to gradually get the crappy water ive been using and get this thing going in the right direction.....this Corona will be over and i can get some fish...lol
But would like to not go through this again so gonna take the time and try n get it right!!